What is Ativan?
Ativan is used for the treatment of anxiety. The generic name of Ativan is Lorazepam. It belongs to the group of drugs called benzodiazepines. It works by affecting the chemicals of the brain, which may be unbalanced due to anxiety. Ativan enhance the work of some natural chemical in the body (GABA). Sometimes, it is also called a sedative-hypnotic or anxiolytic medication. It is also given before the surgery to make the patient sleep and used in the treatment of seizure disorders.
Ativan is available in two forms in the market-:
- Ativan tablets.
- Ativan solution for intravenous (IV) injection.
How to use Ativan?
Following are the points which that explain how to use or take Ativan so that the chances of side effects or any danger can be reduced.
- Read the medicine guidelines carefully provided by your doctor.
- Consume this medicine by mouth with or without food as prescribed by your doctor.
- To get most of the benefits of Ativan, take this medicine regularly and at the same time.
- Do not suddenly stop the consumption of this medicine because it may cause some withdrawal symptoms like headache, vomiting, etc.
- It is an effective and helpful medicine, but sometimes it also causes addiction if not taken correctly. So, take this medicine properly to avoid the risk of addiction.
- When this medicine is used for the long term, it may not work properly. So, in such a situation, get in touch with your doctor.
What are the side effects of the Ativan?
Ativan can cause common to serious side effects. Contact your doctor immediately for medical attention if you observe any of the below mentioned side effects in you or in someone else who is taking this medicine.
Common side effects of Ativan
- Lack of coordination
Some of the above mentioned side effects go away with the time as your body will adjust with medicine.
Severe side effects of Ativan
They are not common side effects, but they can occur.
- Trouble in breathing
- muscle weakness
- body aches
- swelling on lips and face
- developing suicidal tendency
This is not the complete list of side effects. If you observe any other symptoms, call your health consultant immediately.
What is the dosage of the Ativan?
The dosage of Ativan depends upon the following factors-:
- medical condition
- form of Ativan
The doctor will start the treatment on a low dosage and decide the right dosage after seeing the effect of the medicine on you.
The usual oral dosage of Ativan tablet is 2 to 6 mg daily.
In case, if you miss your dosages take that as soon as possible. But, if it is too late, then skip the dosage. Remember, never take two dosages altogether because it create problems, severe side effects.
What are the symptoms of Ativan withdrawal?
The situation of withdrawal arises when you suddenly stop the consumption of the medicine. These can also occur when you take Ativan for a long period.
Symptoms of Ativan’s withdrawal are-:
- trouble sleeping
- panic attacks
Consult your doctor before stopping Ativan. Your doctor may gradually decrease your dose to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
What is Ativan addiction?
Ativan is effective benzodiazepine, which has high chances of abuse and addiction. Consuming Ativan for a long period lead to dependence on Ativan. People with mental disorders and alcohol abuse have a higher chance of addiction.
There are various reasons for getting addicted to this medicine like-:
- problems in family
- failure in work, relationship
- financial problem
- social isolation
Signs of Ativan addiction are-:
- Mental confusion
- Slurred speech
- Lack of energy
- Loss of control of body movements
- Muscle weakness
- Low blood pressure
- Slow breathing
- Passing out
What are the precautions while using Ativan?
- Always follow the direction of your doctor.
- Do not change the dose without consulting the doctor or your health consultant.
- Store this medicine at a safe place.
- Do not take Ativan if you are pregnant or plan to get pregnant because it may cause danger to a newborn.
- Do not take this medicine with alcohol.
- Do not consume Ativan if you are breastfeeding because it may infect infant.