What is Ambien?
It is also called hypnotic. The generic name of Ambien is Zolpidem. Ambien belongs to the class of drugs called sedative-hypnotics. It is used for the treatment of problems related to sleep (insomnia) for a short period. It works by affecting the chemicals of the brain, which is unbalanced in the person. It also produces a calming effect in the brain.
It is not recommended for children below the age of 18 years.
How to use Ambien?
- Follow the instruction given by your health consultant, and in case of confusion or query, contact your doctor.
- Consume this medicine by mouth on an empty stomach as instructed by your health consultant.
- Do not take this medicine with food or after food.
- Use this medicine only once at night only.
- Do not change the dose on your own.
- The dose of the medicine depends upon your age, gender, medical condition.
What are the side effects of Ambien?
Although this medicine is beneficial in spite of that, it has side effects too. The situation of side effects arise when the person misuse this medicine. If you observe these side effects in you or someone else, contact your health consultant immediately.
The side effects of Ambien are-:
LESS COMMON SIDE EFFECTS
- Confusion about identity, place, and time
- Unusual sense of well-being
- fast heartbeat or pulse
- Feeling sad or empty
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- Lack of appetite
- Loss of interest or pleasure
- Unsteady walk
- Trouble concentrating
- Trouble sleeping
RARE SIDE EFFECTS
- Cloudy urine
- Change in walking
- Cold sweats
- Decreased awareness
- Fast breathing
- Delusions of persecution
- Difficult in urination
- Difficulty with swallowing
- Dry mouth
- Numbness of the feet, hands, and around the mouth
- Pale skin
- Poor insight problems with memory or speech
- swelling of the eyelids
- overreact emotionally
- Rapidly changing moods
- Severe sleepiness
- White spots on the lips stomach pain
- Swollen glands
- Tightness in the chest
- Trouble recognizing objects
- Trouble thinking and planning
- Trouble walking
- Troubled breathing with exertion
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Yellow eyes or skin
Some side effects occur in the starting of the treatment, but they go away with the time as your body adjusts with the medicine. Your health consultant or doctor will tell you the ways which will help you in reducing the chances of side effects.
This is not the complete list of the side effects of Ambien. If you observe these side effects in you or in someone else who is taking this medicine, then get in touch with your doctor or health consultant for medical help.
What are the symptoms of overdose of Ambien?
The situations of overdose arise when a person consumes more than the prescribed dose. Overdose of this medicine is harmful to health. Following are the symptoms of the overdose of the Ambien if you observe these symptoms in you or in someone else who is taking this medicine then get in touch with your doctor.
Symptoms of overdose of Ambien are-:
- Change or loss of consciousness
- Tricky or troubled breathing
- Irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- Pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
What are the precautions while using Ambien?
To reduce the chance of risk to your health, always consider these points while taking Ambien.
- Always see the warning section of the medicine.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any allergy from Ambien or any component of the Ambien.
- Ambien contains some inactive agents, which sometimes cause some allergic reaction, so if you observe any reaction, inform your doctor immediately.
- Reveal all the medical history to your doctor like any genetic problem or mental problem.
- Do not consume this medicine with alcohol.
- Avoid taking this medicine if you are breastfeeding because it may cause danger to the baby.
- Tell all the prescribed and non-prescribed medicine you are taking.
- Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
- After consuming this medicine, you will feel sleepy, so avoid doing any activity which requires focus and attention.